Navistar Bendix® Wingman® Fusion™ System
Uncle Al’s UTC Tech Tip
Occasionally we encounter trucks in the UTO centers with the Bendix® Wingman® Fusion™ System option. This system integrates next-generation advanced safety technologies such as radar, camera, and braking. The combination is a comprehensive driver alert system, utilizing powerful safety technology in today’s commercial vehicle marketplace. Following are highlights of the system’s features. For complete system operation and details please refer to the Bendix® Wingman® Fusion™ System operator’s manual. Note. I’ve also attached a 16 page Navistar study guide featuring a detailed system overview of the Bendix® Wingman® Fusion™ system. This guide can be printed or loaded onto your PC for a detailed reference for you or your customer.
The main features of the Bendix® Wingman® Fusion™ System include:
- Collision Mitigation Technology Collision Mitigation Technology is designed to be ready to alert the driver of a potential collision, even if the cruise control is not activated. Collision Mitigation Technology can also react to stationary or moving vehicles in the lane ahead. Collision Mitigation events provide the driver with an alert before an intervention occurs. The driver must act immediately to potentially avoid, or lessen the severity of, acollision.
- Adaptive Cruise with Braking -The Adaptive Cruise Control with Braking feature is an upgrade to the standard cruise control system. When using cruise control, the Bendix® Wingman® Fusion™ system will maintain the set vehicle speed. It will also intervene as needed, to help maintain the set following distance behind a detected vehicle, up to the preset speed.
Using the radar sensor mounted to the front of the vehicle, the Fusion™ system reacts to detected vehicles in the same lane, and traveling in the same
direction. With the cruise control set and the desired following distance established, if the forward vehicle slows down below the cruise control’s set
speed, the Fusion™ system will intervene, as necessary: • Reduce the engine throttle • Apply the engine brake • Apply the foundation brakes
- Stationary Object Alert- The Stationary Object Alert is enabled whenever the vehicle is moving 10 MPH (16 KPH) or faster. The Fusion™ system will activate an alert when approaching a detected, sizable, radar-reflective, stationary object in the vehicle’s lane of travel. This alert indicates that a collision with a stationary object is likely and the driver must immediately act to potentially avoid, or lessen the severity of, a collision.
If the system identifies the stationary object as a vehicle, and the driver does not act immediately, the system can automatically activate Stationary Vehicle Braking to reduce the severity of, or potentially avoid a collision with the stationary vehicle.
- Lane Departure Warning- Lane Departure Warning (LDW) feature, which will monitor the visible lane markings on the road and alert the driver to make a correction if the vehicle begins to leave its lane when the turn signal is not on. The driver should immediately correct the vehicle tracking and maintain the correct position in the lane. The LDW system is enabled whenever the vehicle is moving faster than the preset factory specification.
- Overspeed Alert and Action- This system has the ability to assist the driver by recognizing U.S. and Canadian speed limit signs.
When the vehicle exceeds the posted speed limit by 5 MPH (8 KPH), the system will sound an audible alert for the driver. If the vehicle speed exceeds 10 MPH (16 KPH) above the posted speed limit, an audible alert signals the driver to slow down, and a one-second de-rate of the engine will occur.