How Much Does It Cost to Register a Semi Truck?
When you drive a commercial vehicle, there are tons of factors to consider. From learning to spec a truck to finding insurance for a used truck, things can get complicated quickly! And at International Used Truck Centers, we often hear drivers ask “How much does it cost to register a semi truck?” Let’s find out what you can expect around all of the International Used Truck Centers locations.
Semi Truck Plate Renewal Cost per State
So, how much does it cost to register a commercial truck? The answer depends primarily on two variables: the weight of your vehicle and your location. As you might expect, larger vehicles carry higher fees. However, different states also have their fee ranges that can vary tremendously. In this guide, we’ll give you a brief overview of the semi truck plate renewal costs for all of our locations at International Used Truck Centers.
- California: Flat fee plus weight fee based on unladen weight. $28 flat fee plus $39 for 2,000 pounds to $1,016 for over 15,000 pounds.
- Colorado: Flat fee. $7.50 per semitrailer. An additional fee of $1.50, a $1.00 clerk fee, and 50 cent emission fee are included.
- Georgia: Flat fee. Registered with tractor truck, plus a $12 flat fee.
- Illinois: Flat fee. Registered with tractor truck. Additional $60 fee for 5 years. (Paid when first registered.)
- Illinois (Optional): Flat fee plus mileage weight tax. Registered with tractor truck. Additional $60 fee for 5 years. (Paid when first registered.)
- Indiana: Flat fee or gross weight of tractor and trailer combined. A 25 cent Public Safety fee and a 50 cent financial responsibility fee are included. $30 per semitrailer on an annual basis.
- Louisiana: Flat fee. $10 per semitrailer.
- Maryland: Freight-flat rate. Non Freight-gross weight limit. Trailer fee (freight) $20.25. Trailer fee (non freight) $13.50 for 3,000 pounds or less up to $81.00 for 20,000 pounds.
- Michigan: Empty weight. $17 for 500 pounds or less to $39 for over 1,500 pounds.
- Missouri: Flat fee. $7.50 per semitrailer.
- North Carolina: Flat fee. $10 per semitrailer.
- Ohio: Flat fee. A $2.25 service charge is included. A 50 cent reflectorized plate fee is assessed when new plates are issued. $25 per semitrailer.
- Pennsylvania: Gross weight. $6 for 3,000 pounds or less to $12 for 10,000 pounds. $27 flat fee for over 10,000 pounds.
- Tennessee: Flat fee. $50 per semitrailer. Permanent registration.
Find Out More with International Used Truck Centers
Whether you need more information about semi truck plate renewal in your state or how to budget as an owner-operator, we’re here to help at International Used Truck Centers. Contact us today with any questions.