Recommended Semi Truck Tire Pressure
The Rolling Rig
Keep a worry-free truck with these maintenance tips!
To keep your livelihood running at its best, from Sacramento to the other side of the country, all experts recommend proper semi-truck tire maintenance. But few may know the real benefits of the correct semi truck tire pressure, and fewer may know its importance. Many prefer to check their tires with the “thumping” method, but this can leave semi truck tires underinflated and cause a host of problems. To ensure performance, semi truck tire pressure should be referenced with the manufacturer information, but there are a number of ways to keep yours at the right level. Explore below with the International Used Truck Centers experts to get all the details and more driver tips.
Tips for the Proper Semi Truck Tire Maintenance
truckers know any job worth doing is a job worth doing well, and semi truck tire maintenance is no different. Even a 10% underinflation in tires can mean hundreds of dollars in extra costs over a year, from lower fuel efficiency to uneven tire tread wear and shortened tire lifespan. It can also become a hazard at lower underinflation. Below are some tips to keep in mind:
- As mentioned above, the manufacturer’s instructions with load and inflation tables will reveal different minimum and maximum semi truck tire pressure ranges.
- Some around suggest running tires at the high end to maintain pressure between checks and to aid against rolling. However, overinflation can also create complicated issues and other risks.
- Neglecting inside tires will shorten their longevity as much as any other–these extra costs can build up quickly.
- Tire rotation is a must, as each position will wear tires in varied patterns–front semi truck tires wear more on the shoulders, while drive tires wear in the center. Rear tires simply wear more quickly. Regular rotation ensures longer lifespans.
- Higher replacement costs are to be expected if correct alignment isn’t a part of your semi truck tire maintenance. The same is true for unbalanced tires.
While it can be a bit of an operation to begin using analytic systems to calculate cost-per-mile for individual tires, this will make a significant improvement to understanding the semi truck tire maintenance and replacement costs you can expect when you select the new semi truck tires for your rig.
Keep Your Rig at its Best with International Used Truck Centers
Whether you want to upgrade your fleet with certified pre-owned trucks or simply want the latest information on the semi truck care, the International Used Truck Centers specialists have your back. Get in touch with our team, ready at a moment’s notice to keep you and your rig in fighting shape for years to come.